Tuesday, 29 November 2011
Monday, 21 November 2011
Spitalfields had to reconstruct itself after an apocalyptic flooding and maintained exclusion from the affluent city. Testimony to its existence was the array of rooftops that perforated the waters’ surface. Christ church became the node and origin for the re-establishing habitat, its towering structure and monumental status providing harbour for the first incursion of survivors. As time elapsed the community expanded using the former buildings as its base foundations. A complex network of links and channels connect a utopic commune that encircles and spans from the church.
- The city must be designed with respect of the prior footprint and streetscape visible from the protruding rooftops.
- A more vertical architecture must be established to manage and maintain the expanding population.
- Investigation into slums and swift self builds after natural disasters for the architectural language and design, as construction will come predominantly from collected debris.
- This utopia must devise a strategy to strengthen the foundations that are damaged and eroding from the invaded waters so that they are capable of supporting the expanding community.
- Eventually a dam must be formed surrounding this new utopia for water purification, protection, produce, power and sewage regulation.
Thursday, 10 November 2011
This film was made for a 2 minute presentation to explain to my tutors and peers, my intensions for this year with relation to my design project and my dissertation. I have used after effects to explore a more three dimensional world of existing artists interpretation of the apocalypse. The images I have chosen are a collected from a range of different time periods and show the diverse projections of each artist’s visionary skills. I have then gone on to show my site (Spitalfields) affected by a flood and then a pre - post apocalyptic image which begins the story of The Drained City using photoshop.
Tuesday, 8 November 2011
This two minute film is a combination of YouTube clips, live footage, and scenes from the movie 'the flood' edited to explain my years proposal. The aim was to clearly set up the narrative of my final year film which describes a post apocalyptic environment that deals with the recovery of a 40 year flood that drains away leaving a unknown landscape below.